The English as a New Language (ENL) Program at New Hope Academy under the direction of Ms. Gabriel is designed to support all of our English learners at every age and at every stage of language acquisition. English as a New Language programs, which used to be called English as a Second Language or ESL, provide instruction in English with support in the students’ home language so that they can learn to read, write, and speak English. Students in this program can come from many different language backgrounds, and English may be the only common language among them.
Our goal is to provide our scholars with rich learning opportunities through which they can learn how to listen, speak, read and write in English, as well as learn academic content in mathematics, science, social studies and the arts.
The benefits of an English as a New Language program:
- Students are able to use their home language to learn English.
- Students learn to appreciate different cultures.
- Students who speak two or more languages are valuable to future employers and have an easier time finding jobs.
Ways to support your child at home:
- Parents should try to speak English at home at some point each day. It is very difficult for students to learn a new language if the language is not reinforced at home consistently.
- Read aloud with your student in both English and their native language each day.
- Encourage your student to continue to read for pleasure in their own language even while learning English.
- Have your student create a scrapbook, journal, or diary of their time in the United States.
- Help your student make a personal dictionary with vocabulary words. they are learning.